Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!


















Home

Cadiz

Clark Gable

Clendening Lake

Covered Bridge

Franklin Museum

Gem Of Egypt

George Custer

Harrison County

Heritage Festival

Historical Info

Mountaineer

Motorcycle Memorial

Old Barns

Old Shovel

Ourant School

Peidmont Lake

Sally Buffalo

Silver Spade

Stump Town

Tappan Lake

Township Maps

Quilt Barns

Villages

















The Land

Harrison County comprises over 400 square miles of the ancient and deeply eroded Allegheny plateau. In general, the surface of the county consists of rounded, gently sloping ridges, thickly interspersed with valleys. A divide, situated in the eastern fourth of the county and not on which Cadiz stands, seperate's the streams flowing to the Upper Ohio from these tributary to the Tuscarawas.

Streams east of this divide, Short, Cross and Wheeling Creeks, are known for their narrow, Toney valleys and swift currents. These creeks west of the divide, Big Stillwater, Little Stillwater and Conotton, are noted for their broad, aluvial valleys, meandering courses and sluggish flow.

Since early settlement, the limestone and clay soils of Harrison County have yielded abundant timber, grains, hay and pasture. Beneath this soil, lies considerable mineral wealth, including coal and limestone in the eastern third of the county, sandstone near Freeport and Tippecanoe, and petroleum and gas at various points throughout the county.

Highest elevation above sea level 1366.
Lowest elevation above sea level 861.



The People

Harrison County earliest settlers, who arrived circa 1796, were mostly Virginians. Later Pennsylvania contributed great numbers of pioneers to the county, most of who was Scotch-Irish. People of Germany decent settled much of the northern fifth of Harrison County. Other races and nationalities follow the Scotch-Irish and the Germans. British people, a very few French, Negroe of whom few were actually manumitted, Italians, Polish, Slovaks, and Hungarians. Of this last wave of settlers, the polish is probably the largest and most permanent single group.



Industries

Historically, Harrison County has always been a prominent stock-raising area; at one time (1887); it was recognized as one of the nation's leading producers of fine wool. Large scale coal mining dominates in the eastern third of the county and timbering, stock raising and ceramic production in the western parts. With the construction of Tappan, Piedmont and Clendening Dams, an important recreational industry promises to develop in the future.



Institutions

From Indian times, Harrison County has been a crossroads of paths linking the Ohio valley and the interior of the state. Improved roads through the county were established as early as 1802 and railroads by 1856.

The development of transportation in the county was accompanied by the evolution of an educational system. Common schools existed as early as 1806 and at one time the county boasted three colleges, Franklin of New Athens, Hopedale and Scio Colleges.

Harrison County political system operated from earliest settlement, achieved autonomy in 1813 when the county was established from parts of Jefferson and Tuscarawas Counties, and reached a measure of maturity in 1833 when the present county boundaries and 15 townships were defined.



Village's and Memorials

The Villages 0f Harrison County were Established as follows:

Bowersville, now Bowerston,1852
Deersville,1815
Fairview, now Jewett,1851
Franklin, now Tappan,1837
Freeport,1810
Georgetown,1814
Harrisville,1814
Hopedale,1849
Jefferson, now Germano,1815
Masterville, now Conotton,1851
Moorefield,1815
New Athens,1817
Hanover,1812
New Market, now Scio,1836
New Rumley,1813
Smyrna,1817
Tippecanoe,1840
Butler-Collinsport, now Piedmont, Grew in the Years of 1880

Cadiz founded in 1804, is the largest village and the county seat, and has the honor of being named the "Proudest Small Town in America". The bronze plaque received for this distinction is mounted on a rough stele located on the corner of the court house grounds.

The most prominent Monuments in Harrison County are a statue of John A. Bingham, which stands on the court house lawn in Cadiz, and a bronze figure of General George A. Custer located in the state park in New Lumley. In addition, historical markers are being erected throughout the county by the local Historical Society.




Noteworthy Citizens

Harrison County is justifiable proud of its achieving citizens. Prominent among them have been General George Custer, hero of little Big Horn; Clark Gable, actor; John A.Bingham, prosecutor of Lincolns assassins and minister to Japan; Matthew Simpson, bishop of the M.E. Church; William Henry Holmes, artist and scientist; Charles A Hanna, Financier and Historian; Lynn Harold Hough, Theologian; Percy Hammond,Critic;Frank Hatten,postmaster general of the U.S..; David Thompson, governor of Idaho; GEN. Thomas Vincent, assistant adjutant of the Union Army; Edwin M. Stanton, Harrison County prosecutor who became Lincoln's Secretary of War; Tom Custer, twice awarded the congressional medal of honor, and Boston Custer, brother's of the famous general; Samuel Bryan, who established the Japanese postal system; and Denton (CY) Young, baseball great.


The above Information was complied by the Harrison County Historical Society






















the silver spade stripping shovel cadiz ohio
The Silver Spade
Cadiz Ohio

old steam engine tractor
stumptown
New Athens Ohio

Sally Buffalo Park has over 300 level RV sites with Full 30 Amp electric and water services
Sally Buffalo
Cadiz Ohio

harrison county court house cadiz ohio
Harrison County
Court House
Cadiz Ohio


Tappan Country Store
And Gas Station